Often overshadowed by their Baby Boomer and Millennial counterparts, Generation X is used to being overlooked—both in their day-to-day lives and by nonprofit organizations. But thanks to some research we commissioned to gather much-needed insights into Gen X, we can safely say that these latchkey kids are poised to make a big splash in charitable giving in the coming decades.
We shared our findings in our latest eBook, “Don’t You Forget About Me: The Nonprofit Marketer’s Guide to Generation X.” But we couldn’t stop there. Over the next few weeks, we’re diving deeper into conversations with thought leaders across the industry on different aspects of the research.
In the fourth episode of Season 6, we sat down with Emily Haynes, Staff Writer at The Chronicle of Philanthropy to talk about how nonprofits can connect with younger donors for monthly giving.
Quick facts about Generation X
Before we dive into the discussion, here’s a quick recap of some of the stats about Gen X we’ll cover in this episode:
- They’re a little skeptical
- 42% of Older Gen Xers and 41% of Younger Gen Xers said many who know them would say they’re naturally skeptical
- They’re more digitally savvy than their older counterparts
- 34% of Older Gen Xers and 46% of Younger Gen Xers first saw a nonprofit’s appeal online, compared to 20% of Baby Boomers
- They’re more loyal than their younger counterparts
- 25% of Older Gen Xers and 35% of Younger Gen Xers have given to the same organization for the last three years, compared to 15% of Millennials
In this episode, Emily Haynes shares her perspective on:
- The importance of monthly donors in fundraising
- Best practices for acquiring monthly donors
- Why Gen Xers are a great target audience for monthly giving
Meet our guest
“The thing about Gen Xers is once you’ve won their trust, they’re usually going to stick with you … they’re already your loyal donors, so they’re more likely to be your monthly donors as well.”
Groupthinkers is the podcast for nonprofit marketers by RKD Group. This is a must-listen experience of thought-provoking content that inspires insight on the industry and strategic decisions. Groupthinkers brings together innovators and curators in nonprofit marketing, branding and direct response to tackle the major issues facing nonprofits today. Be sure to tune in for Season 6, as we drop new episodes over the next few weeks.